Latest Instagrams
Jul 25, 2018

We Told Our Parents


WE DID IT!!! 
I never felt more nervous in my entire life to tell my parents and Tanner's parents the big news. It's been a week and I think some breathing time was definitely needed in order to write this post with a clear mind. Here's the story:

It was a Wednesday after work and Tanner and I went to my house to wait for my mom to come home from work. I texted her to let her know we were both coming over because we usually don't spend Wednesday evenings at my house. Once my mom got home from work, I asked my sisters to go in their bedroom to watch TV, as soon as Tanner and I sat down, I told my mom and dad that I had to tell them something and my mom said "I already know what your are going to to say". I said "I'm pregnant" and she said "I knew it" and then what I thought was going to happen was a yelling match actually turned into a very civil and informative conversation. My mom and dad said "everything will work out" over and over again and my mom even said she already loved this sweet baby. There was a lot more said and to be honest it's a bit blurry because my adrenaline was at an all time high. My mom and dad basically told Tanner and myself that we need to keep focusing on our relationship with each other now and especially once the baby comes and we NEED to find a place of our own to live because they think it's very important that we grow our family as one unit and not have any outside perspectives influencing it like family members. My parents were very understanding and very informative about everything. They said they would be here for us and the baby and they hugged us and told us they loved us. It was nothing like I expected and it went so well. My mom had me at 17 so she knows how it feels to tell parents big news like this and how hard it is so her thoughts, words and understanding was needed in this situation.

From My house we left to go tell Tanner's parents the news, we were a bit nervous but still reeling from telling my parents that we almost felt numb. Telling Tanner's parent's was so much easier, he obviously took the reigns on telling them and they immediately got smiles on their faces. They said "we can't say we aren't excited" and they hugged us and told us they loved us. Tanner's mom mentioned us getting married before the baby comes but we just can't yet because of health insurance. My dad has amazing health insurance and I want to have the best coverage possible during the pregnancy.

Finally we went and told my grandparents and great grandma. I was just beyond spent by this point so telling them didn't seem like a big deal. Of course I was nervous but I just told them. My grandpa had the worst reaction of anyone we'd told, he yelled "what!" and then sat back in his recliner and didn't say a word while my grandma and Gmom asked Tanner and myself questions. He finally got up and was crying and came over and hugged and said he loved me and no matter what everything is going to be okay. It was honestly one of the most emotional things I'd ever experienced because I have never seen my grandpa like that. They were all happy for me and Tanner too and they said they would help out in any way possible.

Overall it went way different than I expected. Tanner and I had built up quite an army in our heads to defend ourselves against the yelling and disappointment from our parents but we really didn't need that army and to be honest. We were given love and support and everything someone in our situation would want. For the first few days we were definitely in a little bit of a daze over the experience, we kept telling each other "this is weird" but as the days have gone on, it's been a little more normal. Telling everyone was such a huge relief and a weight lifted off our shoulders. We are able to breathe and enjoy this experience a little more. We still have so much to work out and I really never thought I would be in a situation where it wasn't a super "exciting" thing to tell my parents they are going to be grandparents but it worked out in the end and Tanner and I are so beyond grateful for all the love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins